Up to 24 awards offered mainly for independent postgraduate research in areas of mutual U.S./Spanish interest. Projects dealing with contemporary issues are especially encouraged. Fulbright Spain's Open Study/Research awards facilitate access to research and studies representing a wide range of disciplines. The aim of these awards is to strengthen educational and cultural relationships between the U.S. and Spain and to provide grantees with opportunities for research collaboration that extend into the future. Core funding for this program is provided by the U.S. Government and the Spanish Ministries of Foreign Affairs and of Education. Engaging in university coursework may be considered, but not as the sole purpose of the project, and university fees are not covered by the grant benefits. Course listings may not be confirmed until after universities begin and enrollment of foreign students is not guaranteed.
Deadline for submission
- From Mar 31, 2021 to Oct 12, 2021
- All disciplines.
- United States citizenship.
- Advanced graduate students, doctoral candidates, and those with previous research experience will be given priority. Graduating seniors will also be considered.
- Intermediate proficiency in the Spanish language is required. A basic understanding of catalán, galledgo, or euskera is recommended for general research or study in the respective regions prior to beginning the grant.
- Letter of affiliation. Candidates must arrage their ownafficiliation with an academic institution in Spain.
Candidates with dual U.S./Spanish citizenship are not eligible to apply, nor are applicants who are residing in Spain at the time of application or any time thereafter. Study abroad as part of undergraduate studies is not considered residency in Spain.
Please also check the official announcement on the Institute of International Education (IIE) website: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/applicants.
- Please refer to the Institute of International Education (IIE) website for detailed information on application requirements: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/applicants
- Grant Duration
- 9 months.
- Grant Period
- Grants will begin on September 15, 2022 and end on June 14, 2023. Attendance at the in-country orientation during the second week of September 2022 is mandatory.
Initiating the award at a later date in 2022-2023 will be considered only in extraordinary circumstances.
- Grant Benefits
- These amounts are for reference only and might be adjusted:
- 1,100 € round-trip travel expenses;
- 1,300 € monthly maintenance;
- 200 € relocation allowance;
- Up to 500 € project-related expenses;
- 400 € dependent support (one-time payment);
- Health benefit plan up to $100,000 per accident or sickness
- In the U.S.
- Additional Information
- The official award announcement, eligibility information, and application are available on the IIE website: https://us.fulbrightonline.org/countries/selectedprogram/189
The main contact during the application process is IIE: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/contact-us.
To confirm whether or not a Spanish host institution is acceptable, you may contact the U.S.-Spain Fulbright Commission Information Service at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that the Commission cannot arrange or suggest affiliations.
Postgraduate research / studies in Spain, either for independent research or research in support of a master’s thesis or doctoral dissertation.