One award is available to pursue a full-time Master's degree in Spanish Second Language Teaching (MELE: Máster Universitario en Enseñanza del Español como Lengua Extranjera) at Universidad de Navarra (Spain). Considered one of the most prestigious universities in Spain, the Universidad de Navarra, located in Pamplona, is 1st in Spain in the QS Employability Ranking and among the top 50 universities in the world in its contribution to the UN Sustainable Goals of "Decent Work and Economic Growth" and "Life of the Earth's Ecosystems" according to the Times Higher Education Impact ranking.
The MELE program is designed with four unique features that distinguish it from similar programs:
- Real teaching experience: Teaching at the university level from the beginning of the master’s program (600 hours total): 150 hours of in-class university teaching and direct responsibility for at least three different groups/courses over the 10-month program.
- Being part of the team: Professional Development at the Instituto de Lengua y Cultura Españolas (ILCE) by participating in faculty meetings, coordinating courses and proficiency exams, and applying principles and ideas from graduate courses to professional life in ELE. This includes research projects, ELE assessments, teaching classes, program organization, co-curricular activities, and ILCE meetings.
- Small graduate cohort and personalized mentorship: Each master’s class accepts a limited number of students (7-14) which creates a small learning community. Each student receives a mentor for the classes they teach, an academic advisor for MELE questions/issues, and a supervisor for the MA thesis. Each teacher-in-training in MELE receives constant support, tutoring, and continuous monitoring from ILCE professors/mentors through weekly support meetings.
- True global focus: MELE is the only MA in Spanish Second Language Teaching in which more than half of the professors are visiting professors from the best universities in America, Asia, and Europe. Students receive professional perspectives from around the world.
- One award is available to pursue a full-time Master's degree in the Máster Universitario en Enseñanza del Español como Lengua Extranjera at the Universidad de Navarra.
Deadline for submission
- From Apr 1, 2022 to Oct 11, 2022
- The Master’s applicant profile consists of graduates with university degrees in Philology, Modern Languages and Literature, Linguistics, Translation, Journalism, History, Humanities, Law, Economics, Education, and other degrees in the humanities or education. This degree is for students who want to guide their professional career and gain specific knowledge about teaching Spanish as a second language.
- United States citizenship
- Advanced Spanish: C1 in the Common European Framework Reference (CEFR) for Languages or
Superior Proficiency in the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign
- Others as stated on the MELE website: https://www.unav.edu/web/master-en-ensenanza-de-espanol-como-lengua-extranjera
- Others as stated on the IIE websites: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/applicants and https://us.fulbrightonline.org/countries/selectedprogram/390
Candidates with dual U.S./Spanish citizenship are not eligible to apply, nor are applicants who are residing in Spain at the time of application or during the academic year prior to the grant. Study abroad in Spain as part of undergraduate studies is not considered residency in Spain. However, other full-time studies at an institution based in Spain or participation in an auxiliar de conversación program are considered residency in Spain.
- Please refer to the Institute of International Education (IIE) website (http://us.fulbrightonline.org/applicants) and the Universidad de Navarra's websites (below) for detailed information on application requirements.
To be considered for this Award, two separate applications are required:
- Applicants must apply for the Fulbright Award through the Fulbright online application system
- Applicants must also apply for admission to the Master’s program directly at the Universidad de Navarra. More information on the admissions process can be found at: https://www.unav.edu/mele and https://www.unav.edu/en/web/master-en-ensenanza-de-espanol-como-lengua-extranjera/admision
The Universidad de Navarra will notify Fulbright directly of all semi finalists who have been accepted to the MELE program.
- Grant Duration
- 11 months.
- Grant Period
- The Grant will begin on August 15, 2023 and end on July 14, 2024.
Attendance at the in-country orientation during the second week of September 2023 is mandatory.
- Grant Benefits
- These amounts are for reference only and might be adjusted:
- Tuition Fees,
- 1100 € round-trip travel expenses,
- 1100 € monthly maintenance,
- 200 € relocation allowance,
- Up to 500 € project-related expenses,
- Health benefit plan of up to $100,000 per accident or sickness
- In the U.S.
- Additional Information
- The official award announcement, eligibility information, and application are available on the IIE website: https://us.fulbrightonline.org/countries/europe-and-eurasia/spain/390.
The main contact during the application process is IIE: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/contact-us.