Other Opportunities

​In addition to studying in Spain, there are several thousand native English speakers who receive grants every year to teach English and share their culture as Teaching Assistants.  Below you will find information about these opportunities.  The Fulbright Commission offers several grants in addition to the English Teaching Assistantship.

Fulbright Grants

The Fulbright program is the flagship international educational exchange program sponsored by the U.S. government and is designed to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries. The Fulbright Program provides participants-chosen for their academic merit and leadership potential – with the opportunity to study, teach and conduct research, exchange ideas and contribute to finding solutions to shared international concerns. Grants are available for U.S. citizens to go abroad and for non-U.S. citizens with no U.S. permanent residence to come to the U.S. The Fulbright Program is an important element of the United States’ bilateral relationships with countries around the world. U.S. and foreign governments jointly set priorities for the exchanges.

Fulbright U.S. Student Program

The Fulbright U.S. Student Program offers fellowships for U.S. graduating college seniors, graduate students, young professionals, and artists to study abroad for one academic year.

Fulbright English Teaching Assistantships (ETA) Program

The Fulbright ETA Program, an element of the Fulbright U.S. Student Program, places U.S. students as English teaching assistants in schools or universities overseas, thus improving foreign students’ English language abilities and knowledge of the United States while increasing their own language skills and knowledge of the host country. ETAs may also pursue individual study/research plans in addition to their teaching responsibilities.

The Fulbright U.S. Student Program is administered by the Institute of International Education (IIE).

Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program

The Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program sends American scholars and professionals abroad to lecture and/or conduct research in a wide variety of academic and professional fields.

Fulbright Specialist Program

The Fulbright Specialist Program, a short-term complement to the traditional Fulbright Scholar Program, sends U.S. faculty and professionals to serve as expert consultants on curriculum, faculty development, institutional planning, and related subjects at overseas academic institutions for a period of 2 to 6 weeks.
The Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program is administered by the Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES).

Teaching Assistant Programs

Cultural Ambassadors: North American Language and Culture Assistants

This program is officially sponsored by the Spanish government and aims to:.

•    Promote cultural, educative and scientific knowledge exchange.
•    Support Spanish teachers in teaching and students in learning the Spanish language.
•    Foster understanding and appreciation between different cultures.

The Assistants get a grant in Spain to provide support to the English or French teachers in language and culture classes and also have the opportunity to learn about the Spanish language and culture and use their experience upon their return to the United States or Canada, thus developing cultural understanding between the citizens of Spain and the United States of America and Canada.

For more information, please see their website.

Other Programs

In addition to the government-sponsored Cultural Ambassador Program, there exist several other Teaching Assistant programs.  They function similarly to the government program; however the participating schools are private or semi-private (concertado).  Other programs in Madrid include UCETAM (La Unión de Cooperativas de Enseñanza de Trabajo Asociado de Madrid—semi-private schools) and BEDA (Bilingual English Development Program—Catholic schools).