Frequently Asked Questions

​Do I need to have my high school or higher education degree officially accredited?

Official accreditation («homologación») of foreign higher education qualifications is only necessary in the following circumstances:

•    If the student has completed secondary studies in a country other than the European Union, Switzerland, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein or China and wishes to pursue a Bachelor’s degree at a Spanish university; in this case the student must have his/her secondary education certificate officially recognized.
•    If the student wishes to pursue a professional career in Spain; in this case he/she must have the university studies that he/she completed in another country officially recognized (with the exception of those carried out in an EU country).
In all other cases, foreign students do not have to their qualifications officially recognized in order to pursue university studies in Spain.

How do I get the «homolgación»?

The official recognition of Bachelor’s degrees may be carried out in two ways:

•    Official recognition (as stated in the university catalogue about qualifications) that the training received to obtain a foreign qualification is equivalent to that required to obtain one of the Spanish qualifications that appears in this catalogue
•    Accreditation at an equivalent academic level: that is, official recognition that the training received to obtain a foreign qualification is equivalent to that required to obtain one of the academic levels in which Spanish university studies are structured, rather than to a specific qualification.

For more information, please see our page on Recognition of Foreign Qualifications.

Do I need a student visa?

For studies and research periods lasting less than three months no study visa is necessary, unless the interested party is from a country for which a visa is required as standard practice.
For periods of between three and six months a visa is required, but no other documents need be applied for in Spain.
For studies and research periods lasting more than six months, visitors must apply for both a visa and a student’s residence card in Spain.

For more information please see our Visa Information section.

How do I get an official translation?

All documents presented by applicants for admission to Spain’s university system must be in Spanish. Documents issued abroad must be accompanied by an official translation into Spanish.
The official translation may be carried out by:

•    A Sworn Translator duly authorized or registered in Spain (the list of English-Spanish translators starts on pg. 486 of the MAEC document).
•    Any diplomatic or consular representation of Spain abroad.

As much as possible, when the original document is written in an alphabet other than the Latin alphabet, the corresponding translation should reflect the name of the qualification in the original language, but transcribed in the Latin alphabet, rather than a translation of the name.